I hereby consent to participate in telemental health with Clifton Burns Jr as part of my psychotherapy. I understand that telemental health is the practice of delivering clinical health care services via technology assisted media or other electronic means between a practitioner and a client who are located in two different locations.
I understand the following with respect to telemental health:
1) I understand that I have the right to withdraw consent at any time without affecting my right to future care, services, or program benefits to which I would otherwise be entitled.
2) I understand that there are risks, benefits, and consequences associated with telemental health, including but not limited to, disruption of transmission by technology failures, interruption and/or
breaches of confidentiality by unauthorized persons, and/or limited ability to respond to emergencies.
3) I understand that there will be no recording of any of the online sessions by either party. All information disclosed within sessions and written records pertaining to those sessions are
confidential and may not be disclosed to anyone without written authorization, except where the disclosure is permitted and/or required by law.
4) I understand that the privacy laws that protect the confidentiality of my protected health information
(PHI) also apply to telemental health unless an exception to confidentiality applies (i.e. mandatory reporting of child, elder, or vulnerable adult abuse; danger to self or others; I raise mental/emotional health as an issue in a legal proceeding).
5) I understand that if I am having suicidal or homicidal thoughts, actively experiencing psychotic symptoms or experiencing a mental health crisis that cannot be resolved remotely, it may be
determined that telemental health services are not appropriate and a higher level of care is required.
6) I understand that during a telemental health session, we could encounter technical difficulties
resulting in service interruptions. If this occurs, end and restart the session. If we are unable to reconnect within ten minutes, please call me at the number below to discuss since we may
have to re-schedule.
7) I understand that my therapist may need to contact my emergency contact and/or appropriate authorities in case of an emergency.
© March 2020. National Association of Social Workers. All rights reserved.
The information is provided as a service to members and the social work community for educational and
information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. We provide timely information, but we make no
claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this Web site and its associated sites. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship between NASW, LDF, or the author(s) and you. NASW members and online readers should not act based on the information provided in the LDF Web site. Laws and
court interpretations change frequently. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific facts and circumstances of
a particular case. Nothing reported herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent